Friday, June 17, 2016

Greetings From Natalie

In the summer of 2000, at the age of 5, my family and I visited The Mashantucket Pequot Museum in Connecticut. My family browsed the building, shuffling room to room while I spent the entire day looking at one exhibit, carefully listening to everything my audio tour told me, unwilling to follow my family into the next room. Since then, I have been fascinated with museums. I can spend hours in museums, which is pretty convenient since that's what I'll be doing all summer.



My name is Natalie and I am a senior at Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan, working towards a double major in Business and Religion. When I'm not studying in Michigan, I'm figure skating with the Western Michigan University synchronized skating team or watching movies. I came to The Baldpate Inn because there are two things here that absolutely enchant me, mountains and museums. 

As of right now, my favorite set of keys comes from the Colorado State Penitentiary in Canon City, Colorado. In 1896 an inmate made seven keys from spoons in an attempt to break out. The first six keys were failures, but the seventh key worked! The escaped prisoner was never captured. 

I look forward to learning about the stories behind the rest of the keys in our collection during the remainder of the summer. 

Until next time!
Natalie